In the last message, we talked about how to prepare for prayer. Today, let’s talk about our prayers themselves. I want to be clear about something. God is available at any time of the day to hear from His children. Throughout the day, I will ask Him a question, send a thank you or ask for protection, etc. These are my thought- prayers. It is the time of contemplative prayer that I want to examine today.
God created humanity as relational beings because God is relational. We can not express God’s love without other people. It’s as simple as that. So, the isolation that we are currently experiencing can bring on many difficult to handle emotions; loneliness, sadness, anger, bitterness, depression– you can fill in the other emotions you may be experiencing. Unfortunately, it can lead to unhealthy coping solutions. We all need support, time- trusted people we can reach out to, always with God in the lead. He is the one we should call on daily through our prayers and His word. There are some beautiful and uplifting scriptures in the Psalms that can remind us of God’s presence and protection through everything. Reading and praying through the Psalms can bring peace to your heart when it is troubling. I will share some of these with you, and you can pray God’s words back to Him, especially when you may be at a loss for words. Hearing God’s words spoken by you to Him is just as uplifting to God as it is to you; knowing when you couldn’t find the words, you chose His words. Don’t stop with these Psalms. Explore this beautiful book of the Bible-Psalm, and I’m sure you will find something waiting there written by God just for you.
1. Psalm 46:1-3, God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
2. Psalm 46:7, The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.
3. Psalm 46:10, He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
4. Psalm 52:9b, And I will hope in your name, for your name is good.
5. Psalm 91:1-2, Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.”
6. Psalm 91:14-16, “Because he loves me says the LORD, I will rescue him; I will protect him because he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life, I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.
7. Psalm 94:19, When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me great joy.
8. Psalm 121, I lift up my eyes to the mountains-where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven, and earth. He will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you— the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm—he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.
9. Psalm 37:7, Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him.
10. Psalm 34:18, The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in the spirit.
11. Psalm 32:7, You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.
12. Psalm 23, The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.