We are a blessed society. Even now, as we face daily fear and doubt about the world we live in, we are free to worship God without danger or the possibility of death. I remembered this week that it is not true of all societies. There are still countries that will imprison or execute Christians when discovered. These Christians cherish their time spent in worship to our God and will go to great lengths to read their Bible. Some will wait until late at night, hidden behind locked doors. They will draw window shades and hide under covers, or even in a closet. Many have only a small portion of the Bible or a sentence that they will read and meditate on daily. Yet, we don’t have to give a second thought to the ease of purchasing a copy of the Holy Scriptures in any version we choose or doing a free web search for a verse or other study material. We can openly read our Bible anywhere, day or night. I wonder how often or how many of us overlook this freedom? Our religious freedom is beautiful, but it comes with a price often not realized. Satan preys on this freedom. He wants us to become indifferent in our study of God’s word. Our negligence leaves our mind open to his chaos.
The pandemic has caused many negative thoughts in our minds; fear, trouble, doubt, worry, and anger. It is all clutter placed there by Satan to distract us from where God wants our thoughts–on Him. For the non-believer, it keeps them right where Satan wants them–in the world. For the Christian, negative thoughts focus on self instead of on the One who will bring us through. The Bible tells us that if we draw near God, He will draw near to us, James 4:8. God also tells us to focus on Him in times of trouble, Phillippians 4:8.
Furthermore, God wants to spend time with us, John 3:16, Isaiah 1:18. At present, time is something we have more than ever before. How are you using the extra time? Want to make God smile? Commit to using some of this spare time by spending it with Him. Pick up your Bible and begin reading the love story He wrote to you. If you don’t know where to start, below are affirmations from God– statements of truth made by Him. Read and pray on these declarations daily. Not only will these help you through current trials, but they are relevant in any test you may go through in life. They have the power of God’s revelation to overcome the clutter of negative thoughts and emotions. God would love for us to fill our mind so full of His words that Satan can’t find room for any of his harmful confusion.
Affirmations From God
- God is in Control– Psalm 135:6 Whatever the Lord pleases, he does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps.
- God is Always with Me– Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- Nothing is Greater than God– Jeremiah 32:27 “Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me?
- God is on My Side– Psalm 9:10 And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.
- There is a Reason for Everything– Ecclesiastes 3:1 There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven–
- God is a Loving Father– John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- God Cares About Me– 1Peter 5:6-7 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
- God has a Plan for Me– Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
- My Strength Comes From God– Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
- God Will Bring Me Through– Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”